Established in 1761, Caspar Faber, a carpenter, made his pencils in Stein, Germany and sold them in Nurembert. The company started with production of high-quality wooden pencils and pencil cases. It is now part of an international group headed by Count Anton Wolfgang Graf von Faber-Castell -- the 8th generation of Fabers.
His son, Lothar, took over the company and is credited with bringing the company forward. He produced the first hexagonal pencil and created them with the brand: A.W. Faber - one of the first branded writing instruments. Lothar traveled the world and set up a sales company in New York in 1849. He next opened a store in London and Paris.
Lothar's granddaughter married Count Alexander za Castel-Rudenhausen. Lothar stipulated that company must contain the name Faber so the present day company is called Faber-Castell.
Faber-Castell started production of fountain pens in 1935 with the acquisition of Osmia, a former Parker holding company. Omsia had already produced some very well established pens. In 1949 A. W. Faber-Castell was the first German manufacturer to include ball point pens in its product lines.
In 1994 Faber-Castell was sold to the Newell Corporation. In 1996 Faber-Castel was again established as a whole owned company in New Jersey. The company launched the Graf von Faber-Castell collection. of premium writing instruments. In 2000 Faber-Castell USA moved its headquarters from New Jersey to Clevland, Ohio.
Graf von Faber-Castell
The Graff van Faber-Castell Collection includes lines such as:
- Pen of the Year
- Limited Edition Walden Woods
- The Perfect Pencil.
Faber-Castell USA, Inc.
9450 Allen Drive
Cleveland, Ohio 44125
Tel: 216-643-4660 | 1.800.642.2288
Repairs: 800.311.8684 ext 3017
North American Pen Co (1995) Ltd.
300 Trowers Road, Unit #2
Woodbridge, Ontario L4L 5Z9