We return to La Pecora Ladra located just outside Montalto di Castro. We stayed here in 2017 and found it to be a great place to stay. We were well positioned to drive and see sights in both Umbria and Tuscany.
As we found with our 2017 visit here, there are numerous towns within a reasonable driving distance to explore. Tuscania was particular scenic and I look forward to returning.
This year the travels will include visiting::
Llocated in the province of Viterbo, it is located 20 km from the city of Viterbo and sits over two tuff scarps on ther south east side of a former volcano crater that now has Lake Vico. The town's sights include:
The Castle, originally built in the High Middle Ages, with the characteristic angle rounded towers.
The Cathedral, a Baroque edifice designed by Pietro da Cortona, rebuilt by Carlo Rainaldi between 1671 and 1695. The bell tower is from 1734. It houses a Tryptych of Christ by the Viterbese painter Gabriele di Francesco (15th century).
The church of Santa Maria della Provvidenza (11th century), restored in Baroque style, although still retaining a three-floors Romanesque belfry. The interior, with a single nave, houses some frescoes from the 15th century.
The ruins of the church of St. Andrew (12th-13th centuries), with a belfry from 1436. Church of Santa Maria della Pace, began in 1581 and variously attributed to Jacopo Barozzi da Vignola or Rainaldi. It houses paintings by Sebastiano Conca, Cavalier D'Arpino and a tabernacle by Sansovino.
The suggestive basilica church of Sant'Eusebio, along the Via Cassia, 3 km in direction of Rome. Located on a wide alture, it was built by monks escaped from Palestine in the 7th and 8th centuries. Traces of the ancient coenoby and the belfry can still be seen. The interior of the current edifice has a nave with aisles of irregular dimensions, with 12th-13th centuries frescoes and a Madonna with Child from the 15th century. It is dedicated to St. Eusebius, bishop of Sutri which is nearby.
Villa Lina. A villa with extensive botanical gardens, built by Ulisse Igliori for his wife Lina in 1928 and currently owned and operated as a luxury Bed and Breakfast.
Sutri - is an ancient town in the province of Viterbo, about 50 kilometres (31 mi) from Rome and about 30 kilometres (19 mi) south of the city of Viterbo. It is picturesquely situated on a narrow tuff hill, surrounded by ravines, a narrow neck on the west alone connecting it with the surrounding country.
There are some remains of the ancient city walls of rectangular blocks of tuff on the southern side of the town, and some rock-cut sewers in the cliffs below them. The cathedral, of Romanesque origin, is largely modern: of the medieval edifice the belltower (1207) and the crypt, from the Lombard period, with seven naves divided by twenty columns of different origin. In the cliffs opposite the town on the south is the rock-cut church of the Madonna del Parto, developed out of one of the numerous Etruscan tombs of the area (according to some scholars, it was a mithraeum, pagan soldier cult site).
The most striking edifice is the rock-hewn amphitheatre of the Roman period, one of the most suggestive monuments of the ancient Latium (Lazio). Of elliptical plan, it measures about 49 by 40 metres (161 by 131 ft).
Vtorchiano is located about 70 kilometres (43 mi) northwest of Rome and about 7 kilometres (4 mi) northeast of the city of Viterbo. Vitorchiano was at first an Etruscan town and later on became a Roman castrum; it was protected by two deep ravines which joined together to the north of the site so that the settlement had a triangular shape. The ravines are so deep that modern Vitorchiano could only expand on its southern side; the old town abruptly ends at a small terrace which offers a nice view over the woods which cover the hills.
The oldest part of Vitorchiano is located between Palazzo Comunale (which retains a high defensive tower) and the junction of the two ravines; its houses and streets were restored and cleaned in recent years.