Abbaye di Sassovivo
Initial construction by the Benedictines around the year 1000.
The Sassovivo spring is named for the location of the abbey, some 565 metres above sea level.
At one time the holdings of the abbaye were significant as in 1138 the territory that was under the abbey's jurisdiction included 34 churches and 5 chapels, covering a vast area that ran from Rome to Perugia and from Spoleto to Camerino. This continued to grow with 100 years later the abbey's lands involved 97 monasteries, 41 churches and 7 hospitals.
After the French Revolution the land holdings were reduced significantly. In 1860 all the remaining lands were taken and divided up. Since 1979 the Bishop of Foligno has handed over the running of the building to the brothers of the Comunità Jesus Caritas.
The cloister is the most spectacular architectural feature of the entire abbey. The design of the cloister was commissioned by Abbot Angelo from Pietro de Maria. The work was completed in 1229. Built around a square plan, the roof of the cloister rests on arches that are supported by elegant double order columns, surmounted by lily-shaped capitols.
In 1314 Abbot Filippo ordered the building of an east wing. The large cistern in the middle of the cloister was built in 1340 and restored in 1623.
The Romanesque cloister with 128 filigree spiral columns.